What happens if I need help to put my request in writing or a third party is making the request on my behalf?

Under Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulation, everyone has the right to request and, subject to exemptions, receive copies of their records. This is known as a Subject Access Request (SAR). It may be made either verbally or in writing.

If  you are unable to put the request in writing or, wish a third party to make it on your behalf, you can ask another person (for example your Solicitor) to make a request on your behalf.
Please note that the requestor should demonstrate that they possess the appropriate consent or authority to make the request for someone else's personal information.
If you have changed your name during the period your request covers (for example you have married), proof of your name change should also be provided.
There is no fee but charges may apply if a large volume of printed material is required. You will be informed of any charges before we respond to your request.

You are entitled to:

  • ask whether we hold any information about you
  • ask for what purpose we hold the information
  • the names of any organisations your information has been shared with
  • to ask for a copy of the information
  • to have any inaccurate information corrected

How do I make a subject access request

If you making a request for your own data, please do not use this guidance and instead, scroll to the bottom and use the link found in the "Helpful Links" section.
If you are making a SAR for someone else's data, please continue using this guidance.

If the person you are making a request about is your child, please note the following:

  • A child may exercise the above rights on their own behalf as long as they are competent to do so. We normally consider that children aged 13 or above have the capacity to consent.
  • For children under the age of 13, those with parental responsibilities should make the request.

The easiest way to make a SAR is to send us an email. However, you can also send us a request by post.

What do I need to include in the SAR

We'll require the following from you:

Requestor's details

1.    Title
2.    First Name
3.    Surname
4.    Residential / Business Address (if a Solicitor for example)
5.    Capacity in which you're making the request (for example, Solicitor)

Data Subjects Details

1.    Title
2.    First Name
3.    Surname
4.    Current Residential Address

What is Sought

1.    Details of what information you would like
2.    Over what time period
3.    Authority To Act (including parental responsibility)

Please attach copies of the relevant documents, ie:

1. Power of Attorney or,
2. Letter of Consent or,
3. Other authority to Act and if relevant,
4. Evidence of any name change(s)
5. Evidence of parental responsibility (eg birth certificate)

How to send us your SAR

You can email it to FOI@runnymede.gov.uk, or post it to: Information Governance Officer, Runnymede Borough Council, Civic Centre, Addlestone, Surrey KT15 2AH.
Please note that incomplete applications will delay your SAR.

What happens next

On receipt of your SAR, we will send you an acknowledgement. Unless we need to undertake additional checks, we will  supply what is sought within a month. We will contact you should we require more time or additional information.

How will we contact you

Unless advised to the contrary, we will reply using the same mode of communication that you used to contact us.
Please note if we post you what is sought we will do so using recorded / signed for delivery.

Contacting us

If you have any further queries, please email or write to the Information Governance Officer using the above contact details.

Helpful links

Freedom of Information

Personal information