Discretionary Housing Payment

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) can provide extra money when you need extra help to meet your housing costs, such as rent. We will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. Then decide whether to give you a DHP, how much you will be paid and for how long you will receive the payment.

Who can claim a Discretionary Housing Payment

Anyone who needs more help with housing costs and is currently claiming:

  • Housing Benefit or
  • Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability

You cannot get a DHP to help with Council Tax payments, though we might be able to help you pay your rent while you clear your Council Tax liability.

The government gives councils funding to pay DHPs to people who have been affected by welfare reforms including:

  • the benefit cap
  • removal of the spare room subsidy in the social rented sector
  • changes to Local Housing Allowance rates

Some people may qualify for longer term support.

How a payment can be used

We can consider a DHP to cover housing costs, such as:

  • a rent shortfall, for example, as a result of welfare reforms
  • rent deposits or rent in advance if you need to move home

You must be a resident in the Runnymede Borough council area. You can check which council you live in, at - www.gov.uk/find-your-local-council

How to claim

You can make an online application here