Temporary Events Notice

A Temporary Events Notice (TEN) may be required for licensable activities to take place at an event with fewer than 500 attendees, lasting no more than seven days.

Icon for pdf Temporary Event Notice application form [286.68KB]Details of planned Temporary Events Notice are published on this website, this list is updated regularly Icon for pdf Temporary Event Notices register [92.41KB]

Certain types of entertainment have been deregulated and are no longer classed as 'licensable activities', if the activity takes place between 8am and 11pm and there are fewer than 500 people attending, including staff and performers.

You will still require a Temporary Events Notice if you intend to:

  • sell alcohol;
  • supply alcohol at a club;
  • supply late night refreshments such as warm food or drink between 11pm and 8am; or
  • provide entertainment between 11pm and 8am.

A premise can hold a maximum of 15 events or 21 days of events per calendar year. For alcohol, a non-personal licence holder can have no more than five events per calendar year, and a Personal Licence holder is restricted to 50.

Incidental music is ancillary to another activity which does not need an entertainment licence - for example, background music in a restaurant.

We have produced a short Icon for pdf TEN guide [102.04KB] to assist you through the process.

For a fuller explanation of TENs you can look at the Section 182 guidance published by the Government. This explains the finer points of TENS.

Apply for a Temporary Events Notice (TEN)

You should make sure we receive your application at least ten working days prior to an event. Alternatively you can apply for a Late Temporary Event Notice at least five working days prior to the event. Should you not give sufficient notice of the event then your application will be rejected.

Our advice is that you submit your TEN with as much notice as possible, it can be months ahead, there is no limit on how far in advance you can make the application.

The quickest and easiest way to apply is using the GOV.UK application form. This allows you to make payment (£21) online and the application will be sent to the Licensing Team, the Police and Environmental Health for you.

You can also apply by printing and completing the Temporary Event Notice  and sending it with payment to the Council. However please note that if you submit your TEN in this way it is your responsibility  to send copies to the Police and Environmental Health, if you do not do this your TEN may be rejected. Please ensure they are given sufficient notice i.e. ten working days or five working days in the case of a Late Temporary Event Notice. We can only accept your application once payment has been received.  See Responsible authorities for postal addresses.

An application may be rejected on the grounds of any of the four licensing objectives. Furthermore, if the applicant or the premise exceed the maximum allowance of events per year.

If you have any queries about the requirements for a Temporary Event Notice, please email licensing@runnymede.gov.uk or call 01932 425711.