Having difficulty paying your Council Tax?

If you are worried about managing your money or debts, help is available.

Council Tax is generally collected in 10 monthly instalments beginning 1 April. This can be changed to 12 monthly instalments if you ask us in writing before 15 April of the tax year. 

If you find at any time that you can not pay the full monthly instalment, you should keep paying what you can afford. Do not stop paying altogether.

It is important  you let us know quickly if you are experiencing difficulty in paying your Council Tax.

Letting us know early means we can try to make arrangements with you to pay (possibly weekly or fortnightly) that could prevent us from having to take the debt to the Magistrates' Court.

If you are on a low income, you may be eligible for council tax support.

You should also check if you are getting all the state benefits available to you. There are many organisations that can offer help and advice on debt problems and benefits.

The Council has the power to reduce liability for Council Tax in relation to individual cases if you are suffering severe financial hardship. If you wish to apply for Discretionary Hardship Relief please read the Icon for pdf policy guidelines [343.49KB] and then print and return the application form which can be downloaded Icon for pdf here. [357.84KB]

Citizens Advice Bureau: offers advice on debt problems and a wide range of other topics.

National Debt Line:  can discuss debt problems with you over the phone and explain the options available.

Age UK: information on income and benefits for older people.

Step Change: free, confidential advice over the phone on everything from budgeting ideas to practical debt management plans.

Advice UK: UK's largest support network of free, independent advice centres.

Debt Support Trust: a charity with trained, friendly debt advisers.

BOOM Credit Union: a credit union offering low cost, ethical financial services, including a range of flexible loans from as little as £250, with no early repayment penalties.

You can also get information and advice on benefits from GOV.UK.