Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Problems with neighbours

You have the right to enjoy your home in peace, quiet and safety. If you are experiencing inconsiderate behaviour from neighbours, there are several steps you can take. If the person causing the nuisance is a council tenant, our Tenancy Management team can also support you.


If you are able to talk to the person involved, this is the first thing you should try. Discuss the problem with them and see if you can come to an agreement.


If you'd like to discuss the problem but don't know how, Mediation North Surrey can help. This is an impartial service where a mediator will listen to everyone's point of view without taking sides. Contact Mediation North Surrey to arrange the service.

Report it

If you are experiencing nuisance from neighbours who are council tenants, we can take a statement from you, either face to face or over the phone. Contact the Anti-social Behaviour Team (Housing).

We will ask you to keep evidence of the behaviour - you may find these pdf icon diary sheets [86kb] useful.

Our investigations may include interviewing witnesses, liaising with the police and visiting the person who is causing the problems. We will keep you updated with our investigation and any actions we propose taking. The person causing the nuisance may receive a written warning, or failing that we may consider taking legal action.

Need to speak to someone out of hours?

If the person causing the nuisance is a council tenant, call the Antisocial Behaviour Respect Line on 0800 075 6699.

A trained member of staff can listen to your problem and reassure you. They will take the details of the reported problem and give you an incident log number. All the details will be passed on to us by 9am on the next working day so there's no need to report it again.

The person causing the nuisance is not a council tenant?

You can report the problem to us using our online pdf icon Diary Sheets [232kb]. We will contact you for further information and agree the next steps. We take reports of nuisance behaviour very seriously and we may take legal action.


This is the Housing Department's policy on dealing with antisocial behaviour pdf icon ASB Policy [358kb]

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.