Is your home safe?

Information on gas safety, fire safety and problems you may encounter such as a broken boiler or damp.

If you live in rented accommodation your landlord has specific legal responsibilities for gas safety.
In rented accommodation your landlord is responsible for meeting fire safety standards. You should expect smoke alarms on each floor. If you live in a shared house (known as an HMO) you should expect a fire blanket and extinguisher in the kitchen, and a fire door between the kitchen and escape route.
If you rent from a private landlord, you can expect your home to be kept in a good condition. You should report any problems to your landlord as soon as possible, such as dampness or a broken boiler. We can help you if your landlord is unwilling to carry out repairs.