Landlords' information

As a landlord you have certain responsibilities for maintaining safety standards in your properties. You may also need a licence to rent out larger properties.

If you have three or more unrelated tenants in one property (with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities), this is known as a house in multiple occupation, or HMO. There are extra safety requirements for HMO and you may need a licence.

All houses in multiple occupation (HMO) must meet certain standards for fire safety, amenities, management and general housing conditions.
Changes to mandatory HMO licensing came into force on 1 October 2018
You should apply to renew your HMO licence at least two months before your current licence expires.
From the 1st July 2020 all new tenancies in private rented sector will be required to have an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). From the 1st April 2021 this requirement will extend to all existing tenancies.