Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site


The Council welcomes activities such as busking that enhance the street scene and provide good quality entertainment to the public.

The Live Music Act 2012 exempted most forms of busking from the need to be licensed and we no longer issue busking licences. However, if you are busking for a charity you may need a street collection permit or a house to house collections licence. Our Charity collections page explains more.

Please read the pdf icon Busking and Street Entertainment Guidance Notes [49kb]. We ask buskers to follow the voluntary code of conduct to avoid causing problems for residents and businesses.

Some forms of street entertainment, for example a theatrical performance, are defined as 'regulated entertainment' under the Licensing Act 2003 and you might need a licence. Please contact Licensing for more information about regulated entertainment.

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.