Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Personal licences

A Personal Licence authorises an individual to supply alcohol, or authorise the supply of alcohol, at premises that already hold a Premises Licence. It is issued by the Council covering the area where the applicant lives.

Details of those holding a personal licence with Runnymede are contained in  pdf icon Public Register Personal Licence Holders [386kb]

There are different rules for the supply of alcohol under a 'Club Premises Certificate' or 'Temporary Event Notice'. Personal Licences are 'portable' between premises throughout England and Wales, allowing the license holder to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol for consumption on or off any premises with a Premises Licence.

Since 1 April 2015 personal licence holders no longer need to renew their licence every ten years. Personal licences are now valid for an unlimited period of time, however you must still inform the local authority who issued the personal licence of any changes to your name or address.

Who can apply for a Personal Licence?

Any individual can apply for a Personal Licence if they:

  • are aged 18 or over;
  • have a relevant licensing qualification or is a person of a prescribed description under the Licensing Act;
  • have not forfeited a Personal Licence in the previous five years;
  • have not been convicted of a relevant offence;
  • do not already hold a Personal Licence, or have applied for one, with any licensing authority; and
  • have the right to work in the UK.

Relevant offences are the offences listed in Schedule 4 to the Licensing Act 2003. The meaning of foreign offence is dealt with in section 113 of the Licensing Act 2003.

Tacit consent does not apply to Personal Licences so you must receive your licence before you are authorised to supply alcohol.

Apply for a personal licence

Step one

All applicants must obtain a licensing qualification. Please do this first.

Step two

You must obtain a basic disclosure certificate (this gives details of criminal convictions or the results of a subject access search of the police national computer by the National Intelligence Service) . You can obtain a basic disclosure certificate online via

Please note - when submitted with your application this certificate must not be dated more than 28 days from the date of submission.

If you have any unspent convictions for a relevant or foreign offence the licensing authority must inform the police who will decide if they want to object to the application. If they do, a hearing will take place before the Licensing Committee, to decide whether the licence will be granted.

Step three

You must complete this form to submit with your application, this is a declaration of any convictions or civil immigration penalties pdf icon disclosure of convictions form [78kb].

Step four

Provide two photographs. One must be endorsed as a true likeness by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.

Step five

Complete a personal licence application.

Step six

Submit your application form along with the forms/qualification/photos required (step 1 - 4) and provide a fee of £37.

Change of details

If you already have a licence, you must also tell us about any name or address changes. There is a £10.50 admin charge for this. For further information, please contact the licensing team.

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.