Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshments

To supply alcohol an individual must hold a Personal Licence, and the premises must also hold a Premises Licence.

  • Personal licences

    A Personal Licence authorises an individual to supply alcohol, or authorise the supply of alcohol, at premises that already hold a Premises Licence. It is issued by the Council covering the area where the applicant lives.

  • Premises licences and certificates

    A Premises Licence authorises the use of any premises (vehicle, vessel or moveable structure or any place or a part of any premises) to carry out licensable activities. A Premises Certificate authorises registered clubs to carry out licensable activities.

  • Temporary events notices

    A Temporary Events Notice (TEN) may be required for licensable activities to take place at an event with fewer than 500 attendees, lasting no more than seven days.

  • Late night refreshments

    Late night refreshment is the supply of hot food or hot drink to the public, for consumption on or off the premises, between 11pm and 5am. This includes takeaways, fast food and mobile catering vehicles. You normally need a Premises Licence to provide these.

  • Licensable activities

    The deregulation of certain entertainment has made some changes to the Licensing Act 2003, however any activity between 11pm and 8am, most forms of entertainment with more than 500 people in an audience, and any sex entertainment remains licensable.

Rate the quality of this content from 1 star (poor) to 5 (excellent)

Rate this page:

rate this item 1 starrate this item 2 starsrate this item 3 starsrate this item 4 starsrate this item 5 starsCurrent ratings

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.