Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Fire safety in rented accommodation

In rented accommodation your landlord is responsible for meeting fire safety standards. You should expect smoke alarms on each floor. If you live in a shared house (known as a HMO) you should expect a fire blanket and extinguisher in the kitchen, and a fire door between the kitchen and escape route.

Please do not keep fire doors wedged open as they are vital to stop fire spreading.

As a tenant you are responsible for testing your smoke alarms regularly, and reporting any faults to your landlord.

Requirements for landlords

According to the Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 all rented accommodation must have a smoke alarm on each floor. Carbon monoxide alarms are also required in rooms which burn solid fuel, such as coal fires or wood burning stoves.

If you rent a house in multiple occupation (HMO) you must also meet the following the  pdf icon Runnymede HMO standards [276kb].  Failure to do so may result in a penalty.

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.