Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Is your home safe?

Information on gas safety, fire safety and problems you may encounter such as a broken boiler or damp.

  • Gas safety

    If you live in rented accommodation your landlord has specific legal responsibilities for gas safety.

  • Fire safety in rented accommodation

    In rented accommodation your landlord is responsible for meeting fire safety standards. You should expect smoke alarms on each floor. If you live in a shared house (known as a HMO) you should expect a fire blanket and extinguisher in the kitchen, and a fire door between the kitchen and escape route.

  • Problems with your home

    If you rent from a private landlord, you can expect your home to be kept in a good condition. You should report any problems to your landlord as soon as possible, such as dampness or a broken boiler. We can help you if your landlord is unwilling to carry out repairs.

Rate the quality of this content from 1 star (poor) to 5 (excellent)

Rate this page:

rate this item 1 starrate this item 2 starsrate this item 3 starsrate this item 4 starsrate this item 5 starsCurrent ratings

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.