Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Understanding your tenancy agreement

Find out about your responsibilities, the different types of tenancy, if you are able to change the names on your tenancy agreement, what to do when you want to end your tenancy and if you can sub-let your home.

  • Starting your tenancy

    Once you have received a written offer of a property we will make you an appointment to meet one of the tenancy management team.

  • Types of tenancy

    Most tenants have a secure tenancy. We usually offer introductory tenancies for your first year on a trial basis. If there are no problems we'll change it to a 'secure flexible' or 'secure' tenancy. You could have a sole tenancy or share a joint tenancy with another adult.

  • How to end your tenancy

    If you are planning to move out of your home you must give us at least four week's written notice, even if you are moving into residential care.

  • Pets, lodgers and other reasons you need permission

    Depending on your tenancy, you can request written permission to keep a pet, make alterations, take in a lodger or run a business.

  • Succession

    When a council tenant dies we can sometimes allow a member of the family to take over the tenancy. This is called 'succession'.

  • Assignment

    You can legally transfer your tenancy rights to your partner or a member of your family by 'assignment'.

Rate the quality of this content from 1 star (poor) to 5 (excellent)

Rate this page:

rate this item 1 starrate this item 2 starsrate this item 3 starsrate this item 4 starsrate this item 5 starsCurrent ratings

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.