Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Your rent and other responsibilities

It is your responsibility to make sure your rent and bills are paid on time. You must also tell us of any changes to your circumstances if you receive benefits - this is a legal requirement.

  • Your rent is your responsibility

    It is your responsibility to make sure your rent is paid on time, even if we pay benefits direct to your landlord or rent account.

  • Change of circumstances

    If you receive benefits you must tell us about any changes in your circumstances. You have a legal responsibility to do this within one calendar month of the change or you could be prosecuted for benefit fraud.

  • Overpayments

    An overpayment is where we've paid you (or your landlord) more benefit than you were entitled to. You must tell us if you notice we have paid you too much and we will normally ask you to pay it back.

  • Money advice

    If you are worried about managing your money or debts you have, help is available.

  • Fraud

    If you believe someone has committed fraud or given false information for an application for housing or to obtain a discount or exemption from Council Tax (including Council Tax Support) or Business Rates, or you wish to report a fraud against the Council of any other nature, you should report it as soon as possible.

Rate the quality of this content from 1 star (poor) to 5 (excellent)

Rate this page:

rate this item 1 starrate this item 2 starsrate this item 3 starsrate this item 4 starsrate this item 5 starsCurrent ratings

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.