Skip Navigation
Smallest fontMedium fontLargest font
Search site

Council Tax Support

We can give people on low incomes help to pay their Council Tax. In this borough this is known as Council Tax Support.

It is a local scheme for working age people and pensioners. Working age people can claim up to 80% of their Council Tax bill. Pensioners can claim up to 100% of their Council Tax bill.

To apply for Council Tax Support you must:

  • have less than £16,000 in savings/capital; and
  • live in the property that you wish to claim support for.

You should apply for Council Tax Support as soon as you think you need help. Council Tax Support will normally start from the Monday following the day we receive your completed form.

If you know your circumstances are going to change you can claim up to 13 weeks before.


You must complete the pdf icon Council Tax Support application form [690kb] in full, sign it and include evidence to support your claim.

You can get a copy of this form from the Civic Centre if you don't have access to a printer.

Even if you don't have all the evidence asked for on the form return the form anyway. You can provide the missing evidence as soon as possible afterwards.

If your claim is successful, you will be notified in writing, your Council Tax bill will be reduced and you will be sent a new bill.

Backdating claims

We can backdate your claim up to three months if you can show 'good cause' for not claiming earlier. 'Good cause' could be if:

  • you were ill and no-one else could claim for you
  • you were in hospital
  • you were waiting for a decision on another benefit
  • you didn't understand that you could claim - perhaps because of your age inexperience, language problems or difficulty in understanding technical documents
  • you could not manage your own affairs
  • a close relative died.


If you disagree with our decision on your Council Tax Support application you can appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal. You must do this within two months of the decision. 

You can complete an online form to appeal or you can request a form be sent to you.

Rate the quality of this content from 1 star (poor) to 5 (excellent)

Rate this page:

rate this item 1 starrate this item 2 starsrate this item 3 starsrate this item 4 starsrate this item 5 starsCurrent ratings

A to Z of services

We use cookies to help us improve the user experience. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more about cookies.